Monday, October 8, 2007

Crystal ball

I had a premonition today.

I dropped Kaylee off at daycare this morning and suddenly had this vision of her in a dozen years or so, telling me about cheerleader tryouts and the trials of juggling her busy social calendar, while I stand there staring at her perfect hairdo and watching her touch up her lipstick, wondering, “Whose child ARE you?”

My vision was brought on by the realization that my baby is quite popular -- more popular, in fact, than I’ve ever been in my life.

Whenever I take her to school, I get comments from strangers about how they “just love that little one” and what a cute smile she has. At her school’s open house night, Rob discovered that Kaylee has a little three-year-old friend who visits her regularly to play. Today, one of the daycare employees who floats from room to room, helping where needed, admitted to spending her lunch hours in the infant room, playing with my daughter.

It’s so weird knowing that my four-month-old baby has a social life that I’m not a part of, with friends I may never meet.

At least she’s not asking to borrow the car yet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yet.

I know, as a life-long tomboy, that if I ever have a daughter, she will be a complete girly girl, totally into clothes and the latest trends. It will be my punishment for not letting my mother dress me -- her only girl out of four kids -- in frilly flowery dresses.